Saturday, August 18, 2007

Bread


I'm intrigued by Biblical images of levan, yeast, dough, and bread, especially as I am trying to learn to bake. Tomorrow I'll teach children of the church about the Lord's Supper. In this 2nd class on the subject we'll bake bread together in the church kitchen.
I'm intrigued by Biblical images of leaven, yeast, dough, and bread, especially as I am trying to learn to bake. Tomorrow I'll teach children of the church about the Lord's Supper. In this 2nd class on the subject we'll bake bread together in the church kitchen.

I've never been much of a baker. Usually I combine grain, water, and yeast with some hops to make home-brewed beer. Making bread with most of the same ingredients is surprisingly similar.

Making bread takes a long time! Chris is going to help me with the right ratios of water and flour, but it is finally up to me alone. One has to be patient. Bakers already know this, but I'm surprised; I don't like sitting around waiting for something to rise, so I can beat it down and let it rise again.

Jesus talked a lot about bread. He reminded us that people don't live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God. He reminded us of the importance of yeast -- how a little can leaven a whole loaf. I think he was saying that a few Christians can change their community.

But of course, I think mostly of the Lord's Supper, where he took the unleavened Passover bread and shared it with his disciples, saying it was his body, broken for them.

I'm learning to bake bread so we can make Communion Bread. This most-basic of foods becomes very special when it is 'churched.'

No comments: